Eugène Cuniot, was born in 1861 in Mirecourt, France, the homeland of french bow-making, where he learned the trade from his father, Pierre Cuniot, from a very young age. After inheriting his father's workshop in 1884 at the age of 23, he adopted the brand CUNIOT-HURY, combining his name with his wife's, Françoise Marguerite Hury, who by the way was from an important family of piano makers in town. During his career, and due to the increasing demand after 1900, he employed several apprentices, including great names such as Pierre Maline, Louis Morizot, and Emile Ouchard. Unlike many other Mirecourt business, Cuniot did not restrict his employees approach to specific models or guidelines, which makes the output of the workshop of that period varied and easy to distinguish from each maker.
Cuniot's style was, at a first stage, completely linked and dependent of that of his father, as no other great influence had much effect in his work, until Charles Nicolas Bazin II. His bows are know for their delicacy and accuracy, the perfection progression of the often round sticks, and the superb mountings refinement and quality. After his death in 1910, Emile Ouchard the workshop and the business, but only changed the brand's name a decade or so later.